Are you interested in creating, preparing and cooking dishes? Do you want to help people who are struggling with food poverty? Come and support Emmaus Greenwich by helping to keep us prepare tasty and healthy meals for our Emmaus Greenwich community and our outreach service.
Meal times are really important parts of the day for our community, when our companions, volunteers and staff come together to eat. With many people to feed, our kitchen is a very busy place, and we are looking for volunteers to work alongside our companions in preparing and serving meals for our community.
Our kitchen team also assists our Street Souls outreach services by preparing food for people sleeping rough, who are marginalised or struggling with poverty.
● Helping to create, prepare and cook healthy, nutritious and delicious meals
● Prepare a range of food items including meat, fish, dairy, vegetables, pasta and rice
● Helping to organise and safely store food in the appropriate places
● Support the kitchen team’s efforts to improve sustainability and reduce food waste
● Follow the kitchen’s food hygiene procedures
We are looking for people who
● Have great people skills and love being part of a team
● Are comfortable working with a wide range of people
● Have a passion for food, cooking and helping people in need
● Understand the importance of healthy eating
● Have good knowledge of food hygiene standards (This can be taught)
● Are highly motivated, enthusiastic and have a positive, can do attitude.
Training, support and benefits:
● As an Emmaus Greenwich volunteer you will be given a full induction when you start and receive ongoing support and supervision from a designated member of staff.
● Where practical we will offer you the opportunity to develop your skills and look to provide further training.
● The experience of being part of a homelessness organisation which helps people overcome homelessness, poverty and social exclusion.
We are looking for a volunteer who can commit to 1 day a week for at least 6 months. We can be flexible in terms of what day this could be, but we are particularly keen to find people able to volunteer on Thursdays & Fridays.
Please note the role is subject to a satisfactory DBS check.