Do you have charity retail management experience and excellent people skills? Want a rewarding role at the heart of our social enterprise operations?
Unlike many homelessness charities, we don’t just offer people a bed for the night. Instead we offer a home for as long as someone needs it, as well as meaningful work in our social enterprise. This combination of a stable home and having something to do every day helps to restore lost self-esteem and gives people the time and space to be able to deal with any problems they may have experienced in the past.
We are looking for a Retail Manager to develop our retail and other social enterprise businesses. The successful candidate will be responsible for achieving the business plan by supervising, training and developing the work of companions, volunteers and staff to operate a successful retail, logistics and social enterprise operation.
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly-motivated individual, who has a ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Salary of £30,000 per annum
- Working Hours – 40 per week, 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday/Saturday
- Annual Leave – 25 days per annum, plus 8 bank holidays
- Workplace Pension Scheme
- Training & Development – Individually tailored induction, training and development
- Employee Assistance – a 24/7 employee assistance scheme is available
Please send your CV and a covering letter outlining your skills and experience. Please note that CV’s without covering letters will not be considered.
Closing date: midnight on 23rd March 2021.
Interviews are scheduled to be held during the week beginning 29th March 2021.
Retail Manager Job Description
Emmaus Greenwich is seeking a commercially driven retail expert with an extensive background in strategic charity retail. Able to maximise the sales of donated goods to increase sales revenue through the effective management of people and resources, and to improve efficiency and consistency across all stores.
The successful candidate will have a passion for charity retail with excellent visual merchandising skills, experience of meeting and exceeding sales targets and opening successful new retail outlets.
Managing the charity’s multi-site retail operations. Developing and motivating a team of paid staff, Companions and volunteers to drive increased sales. Improving visual merchandising across the current retail outlets and managing the opening of new stores.
Overall purpose of the job
- To manage the charity’s retail functions which include high street stores and online sales. Identify and act on opportunities to open new shops and increase the online presence.
- To increase the sales revenue received from donated items by improving systems and efficiency and to introduce consistency of processes across all stores.
- To improve and enhance customer experiences across all retail operations by improving visual merchandising, increasing brand awareness, and developing creative displays within the stores.
- To inspire, train and develop Companions, staff and volunteers to achieve continued retail success, ensuring the team is delivering a consistently high standard of customer service.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Oversee all retail outlets to ensure they are taking advantage of their individual trading opportunities.
- Work with shop staff and Companions to create eye-catching visual merchandising displays, ensuring stock is rotated within each store and also across the wider retail outlets.
- Manage and develop the sorting areas to ensure that incoming and outgoing items are processed safely and securely.
- Implement a new EPOS system and ensure it is being used correctly; identifying and undertaking any training issues.
- Oversee the cash-up procedures and ensure all takings are returned to head office for processing and banking.
- Ensure that high levels of customer service are maintained across all areas of the retail social enterprise.
- Correctly process all retail administrative paperwork and reporting requirements.
- Ensure all retail outlets are kept clean, safe and organised.
- Act as a key holder for all stores and undertake Shop Manager duties as and when needed.
- Ensure that a consistently high level of donated items are received across all areas of the retail social enterprise.
- Encourage the public to donate goods through local shop promotions and the use of social media.
- Work with the Logistics Co-ordinator and van crews to identify and inform of the types of stock items needed for each store, and to ensure the timely distribution of these items.
- Ensure that all stock is clearly tagged and priced. Introduce a system of pricing reductions for old stock and be creative in introducing ways to reduce the amount of items going to landfill.
- Train Companions and retail staff on how to recognise quality brands and items.
- Actively help to identify and source higher value and unusual items to raise funds via the e-commerce operations.
- Actively promote the retail gift aid scheme.
- Ensure that all gift aided items are correctly identified and processed through the EPOS system.
- Work with other departments to assist with reporting and stock checking for all gift aid claims.
- Line Manage the Online Sales Manager and any retail shop staff.
- Ensure Companions are given thorough training within the retail roles, and ongoing support and guidance is provided.
- Take the lead on recruiting, inducting, training, and management of retail volunteers. Act on all opportunities to promote volunteering and work with outside organisations to fill vacant volunteering roles.
- Ensure that all retail staff, Companions and volunteers understand and observe all of Emmaus Greenwich’s policies and procedures.
- Undertake regular appraisals and 1-2-1 meetings; ensuring high levels of communication are maintained and all Companions, retail staff and volunteers have opportunities to make suggestions, give feedback and feel listened to.
- Assist with arranging the rota to ensure adequate Companion and staff cover across all areas of the retail social enterprise.
- Develop great team working environments and motivate Companions, staff and volunteers to ensure they contribute to the success of the retail operations.
Senior Management Team
- Work as part of the SMT to contribute to the strategy of the organisation and deliver the charity’s objectives.
- Prepare effective business plans to support new business opportunities. Attend internal and external meetings and provide regular reports to the CEO and Trustees on matters relating to retail operations.
- Manage resources efficiently. Ensure a strategic and holistic approach is taken and priorities are actioned.
- Help to increase awareness of Emmaus Greenwich and its retail operations, and act as an ambassador for the charity at external events.
- Ensure that all financial, operational and personnel systems and processes are followed.
- Work with other staff members to ensure that all Health and Safety requirements are implemented and adhered to.
- Ensure compliance with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) across all retail operations.
- Assist with other projects as necessary.
- To work flexibly to ensure Emmaus Greenwich’s retail operations remain fully operational.
- Support the learning and skills development of Companions.
- Perform any other tasks or duties deemed necessary by the CEO to contribute to the growing needs of the charity.
Emmaus works with vulnerable people. Staff and volunteers must observe the proper demarcation and professional boundaries while performing their role.
The post holder must always act in a way which will maintain the good reputation of Emmaus Greenwich; upholding the policies and procedures of Emmaus. They must strive to preserve good working relationships with Staff, Volunteers, Companions, and the Trustees, keeping the appropriate key personnel well informed of significant matters relating to the Community.
We expect you to carry out your job responsibilities in an environmentally aware manner. Our aim is to ensure all resources are utilised effectively and efficiently. You will be expected to apply sound ‘value for money’ principles in undertaking purchasing or supply of goods and services.
In Emmaus, volunteers are an important resource and make a vital contribution to Emmaus’s aim to take action to help disadvantaged people. You will be expected to encourage, develop and support volunteer involvement in our work.