2022 marks the 25th anniversary of Emmaus Mossley. In order to survive and thrive for the next 25 years, we’ve got plans in place and work ongoing to ensure our sustainability and improve our offering to the people we support.
Emmaus Mossley has been based at Longlands Mill since 1997. Our site has developed steadily over the years but our buildings and facilities need ongoing attention. We’re keen to enhance our charity and the experience we offer to companions, volunteers, supporters and visitors alike. The world around us has changed a lot in 25 years so we also want to do all we can to reduce our negative impact on the environment and where possible, help others lead more sustainable lives.
Our projects for the future
The following projects have been identified by our community and give you an idea our ambitions and progress to date:
- New Vans – We urgently need to replace the two vans used for deliveries and collections. Not only are they both old and in need of regular repair, they’re inefficient and will be subject to daily charges due to the proposed Greater Manchester Clean Air Zone. Ideally, we would like one Euro 6 van and one electric van for local use.
- Warehouse & Scrap Shed – We urgently needed to refurbish our warehouse and Scrap Shed buildings. This is a big project which we are well along with. Both buildings had their cladding and roofs replaced in late 2021. We are currently in the process of installing a new electric supply, lighting and floor.
- Community Kitchen & Dining Area – We need a full refurbishment of all areas within our catering kitchen, companion’s kitchen, dining room and communal lounge. Thanks to a generous donation from Agiito, we now have most of the kitchen equipment we require for this project. Commercial kitchen and interior design expertise is now needed to help us create spaces fit for purpose.
- Café Improvements – We are in the process of expanding the kitchen area of Lucie’s Café to meet increased demand and improve the working space. Building works have taken place but we now need additional support to help us create a kitchen area fit for purpose.
- Catering Manager – We need a Catering Manager to promote healthy eating for companions, reduce food waste and improve our café offering.
- Community Garden – We need to provide an improved social space for companions and make use of land for local food growing. Thanks to support from the Co-op Local Community Fund, we are now able to commence garden improvement works this year.
- Waste Reduction – We need better facilities to manage, reuse and recycle more of the items donated to us in order to reduce overall waste. Once our warehouse improvement works are complete and thanks to support from the Greater Manchester Environment Fund, we will now be able to commence this project.
- Environmental Improvements – We are keen to reduce our carbon footprint by installing eco-friendly adaptions to our buildings (e.g. solar panels and rainwater harvesting). These will not only reduce our negative impact on the environment, they also have the potential to significantly reduce our energy bills.
- New Fire Alarm – We will soon need to replace our fire alarm system to ensure the safety of all companions, volunteers, staff and visitors.
Can you help?
These projects sit outside of what we can afford from our social enterprise income alone. All the funds generated in our Secondhand Superstore are used to sustain the Emmaus Mossley charity and our support for 26 formerly homeless people. To commence and complete these projects we require additional support, funding, fundraising, partnerships and expertise.
If you or your organisation can help in any way, then we’d love to hear from you. Please email [email protected]