Emmaus Cambridge is a charity and social enterprise, part of which is our busy Coffee shop. Emmaus provides a home for formerly homeless people (companions) who are working their way out of homelessness in all areas of our business.
Joan’s Coffee shop is an exciting part of our project on the Emmaus site serving freshly made, healthy meals, snacks, coffees and cake.
The successful applicant will have experience of working in a successful and busy food service establishment, enjoy dealing with people, have excellent communication skills and be able to:
- Cook dishes to order
- act on your own initiative
- work well in a team
- have excellent organisation skills
- be willing to turn a hand to whatever is required
- keep cool in a crisis
- Have great attention to detail and most importantly,
- Support companions to get involved in the project.
The catering assistant will be responsible for;
- Preparation and cooking of a variety of hot /cold dishes to order.
- Operating a coffee machine/serving customers
- Working alongside Companions and volunteers, supporting and encouraging them in a Coffee shop environment to learn new skills.
- Ensuring adherence to kitchen hygiene regulations and maintaining the highest standards of kitchen and café hygiene and cleanliness.
- Maintenance of food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food.
- Operation and cleaning of specialist food cooking equipment.
- Assisting with record keeping and reporting e.g. kitchen procedures, customer feedback.
- Ensuring implementation of all operating policies and procedures.
- Deputising for the Coffee Shop Supervisor when required.
- Helping to maintain appropriate levels of stock.
- Cash handling.
This is an outline of the duties and responsibilities of the role. It is not intended as an exhaustive list and may change from time to time in order to meet the changing needs of the Cafe.
Essential Skills and Qualities
- At least two years previous experience in a busy foodservice establishment, including in a customer service role and cash handling experience.
- A constructive and positive approach towards working with vulnerable and excluded people.
- An understanding of budgets and food waste.
- A good understanding of health and safety regulations and food hygiene procedures.
- Proven ability to work on your own initiative and as part of a team in a pressurised environment.
- Willingness and flexibility to work additional hours by prior arrangement.
- Proven time management skills and ability to organise and prioritise workload.
- Full clean driving licence.
- Commitment to equal opportunities.
- CIEH Level 2 Food Safety qualification.
Desirable Skills and Qualities;
- Experience working with individuals experiencing homelessness, substance misuse, mental health and issues associated with social exclusion.
- Good understanding of Allergen regulations. (Training will be given)
- Experience of mentoring food service trainees.
- A sense of humour and a very tolerant attitude.
- A minimum of CIEH Level 2 Food Safety qualification.
For more information and to apply, please call Wendy on 07909 250 289.
Any offer of employment will be subject to a satisfactory enhanced DBS disclosure.
Emmaus is an equal opportunities employer.